The Next Generation of ECF (NextGen) is now LIVE for the Northern District of Texas.
If you HAD a Texas Northern ECF filing account prior to September 6, 2022:
- Upgrade Your PACER "Legacy" Account (applies only to PACER accounts issued before August 2014 that have not already been upgraded)
If you have an individual PACER account that was created prior to August 11, 2014 (also known as a "Legacy" account), you must upgrade it before you can electronically file in any NextGen court. Go to https://pacer.uscourts.gov, click on "Manage Your Account", and log in with the attorney’s current PACER credentials. Look at the display in the “Account Type” field. If the account type is “Legacy,” select “Upgrade” and update the information as instructed. If the account type is already “Upgraded,” no action is required.
- Link Your Existing PACER Account to your Existing TXND ECF Account
Prior to filing, you must link your upgraded PACER account to your ECF filing account. After linking your accounts, you will use your PACER accout to file documents. This is commonly referred to as your Central Sign-On account.
If you DID NOT HAVE a Texas Northern ECF filing account prior to September 6, 2022 and you are eligible to e-file:
- Register for a PACER Account (if you do not already have one)
If you do not have an individual PACER account, you will need to register for one at https://pacer.uscourts.gov. Firms may set up a PACER Administrative Account to manage attorney accounts for centralized billing of PACER access fees. To register for a PACER Administrative Account, go to https://pacer.uscourts.gov/register-account/group-billing.
- Submit a New E-Filing Registration Request for the Northern District of Texas
Eligible attorneys and non-prisoner pro se litigants who do not have filing privileges must submit a request via PACER. Click on "Manage Your Account" then select the "Maintenance" tab, and then select either:
- Attorney Admissions / E-Filing Registration, or
- Non-Attorney E-File Registration
Special Instructions to CJA Attorneys:
CJA Attorneys with separate fee exempt PACER accounts will need to take the additional step of merging their newly upgraded PACER account with their legacy fee exempt PACER account. To do this, e-mail PACER at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include: (1) your name, (2) district(s) and/or circuit(s) with CJA appointments, (3) username and account number for your upgraded PACER account, and (4) username and account number for your fee exempt account. PACER will reply with instructions on how to proceed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know if I have an upgraded PACER account?
Upgraded PACER accounts have usernames that are at least 8 characters. You may have upgraded your PACER account if you practice before another court that has already migrated to NextGen, such as the Fifth Circuit. If your username is 6 characters, you do not have an upgraded account. Go to https://pacer.uscourts.gov and click on Manage Your Account to upgrade your PACER account.
- My law firm uses a shared PACER account. Can we continue to use that account?
Not for e-filing. Each attorney must have an individual PACER account for electronic filing. The law firm can create a PACER Administrative Account (PAA) to manage the billing for all individual accounts. Staff who share a PACER account for read-only access may continue to share an account.
- I linked my account when the Court of Appeals or another District or Bankruptcy Court converted. Do I have to link my account again?
Yes, you MUST link your PACER account to your Northern District of Texas District Court ECF account before you can file in this Court.
- I do not remember my Texas Northern legacy CM/ECF credentials. How can I obtain my CM/ECF credentials after September 2?
- If you do not remember your login, please email email@example.com for assistance.
- If you do not remember password, use the password reset utility at this link: https://ecf.txnd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/lostPassword.pl. (The password reset utility requires you to enter your login.)
- If the primary email address associated with your CM/ECF account is no longer valid, the account holder must request their credentials by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Attorneys must include their bar number for verification purposes. CM/ECF credentials will only be emailed to the account holder.
- I am a CJA attorney, and I currently have two PACER accounts. Will I continue to need two accounts with NextGen?
No. If you have two PACER accounts, upgrade the private, non-exempt account. After doing so, contact the PACER Service Center at email@example.com or 1-800-676-6856 to move your existing exempt privileges to your upgraded account. Click here for instructions to request exempt status for your upgraded PACER account and to learn how to toggle between exempt and non-exempt viewing.