What is the Criminal Justice Act?
The Criminal Justice Act was established to furnish quality representation in federal court for any person financially unable to obtain representation. Each United States district court, with the approval of the judicial council of the circuit, shall place in operation throughout the district a plan for furnishing representation for any person financially unable to obtain adequate representation. Representation under each plan shall include counsel and investigative, expert, and other services necessary for adequate representation. For more information regarding the Criminal Justice Act Plan for the Northern District of Texas, see Miscellaneous Order 3.
How can I find out who is on the CJA Panel?
How can I avoid delays in the processing of my CJA voucher?
- Use the e-Voucher System throughout your appointment.
- Include the CJA 26 (Supplemental Information for Compensation Claim for any request for compensation in excess of $10,300 for non-capital cases and $35,000 for capital cases).
- Indicate whether your voucher is for a final payment or an interim payment.
- Obtain pre-approval before using paralegals, associates, and experts.
- Include receipts for expenses over $50.
- Do not use your own designated categories to describe your work on the case.
- If you move, update your information in the ECF system and notify Tammy Shipley at 214-753-2209.